RE: HIV transmission - Hair Salon??

Hi Shannon,

Resending this as I know you are super busy at times and may have missed out this query. Just wondering, I normally wash/cut/shave my hair at a salon.They normally wash and massage your hair for around 20 minutes before cutting them.

I have quite a number of acne (or folliculitis, not too sure yet) on my scalp, When they wash and massage your hair and head, they also scratch your scalp (sometimes quite hard).

So in the worse case scenario, if the person who wash my hair is HIV positive, bleeding somewhere in their fingers, and accidentally scratch bleed my acne/folliculitis. Possible transmission as there are open wounds?

And what about the shaver and scissors they use, if it is tainted by another person blood (previous customers), possible transmission if they touch my acne/folliculitis (if minor bleeding)?

Thank you. Regards 7th

Hi You cannot get HIV from any of the scenarios you have described. HIV transmission occurs when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to the body fluids that transmit HIV. Blood, semen, vaginal fluid or mother's breast milk/mother to child. For your situations both carry the same~ once HIV is outside of the body it begins to die and is unable to infect. You are HIV free from the experience with the hair dresser and at the salon.

please clear me
Specifics of Acute Illness - Dr. Shannon Southall