Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can HIV be transmitted from spit to anal wound?
Aug 27, 2013

Hi guys, I'm a nursing student and last night was a pretty good debate at our class. I want to know everyone's opinion of this. Can HIV be transmitted to saliva? I know for a fact that HIV virus could exists there low/very low. Now, take this scenerio. What if there were a couple about to have anal sex. The giving partner put a condom, but spit saliva on the condom as a lube instead. Then he wasn't able to penetrate whole (like only the head) and the receiving partner asked him to remove because it hurts and it bled.

Could HIV be transmitted in this scenerio, like saliva to bloodstream (for a fact that the anus bled)?

Please answer, thanks!

Response from Mr. Glenn

There is no risk in this scenario.

It sounds like you learned that HIV exists in saliva. That's true.

But you should've also learned that the amount of HIV in saliva is no where near enough to infect someone. This is why when people ask if HIV can be transmitted through saliva the answer is always NO NO NO.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
Dentist office concern
Next
worried 6 month old son hep transmission or other diseases

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.