The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blood Contact

Aug 27, 2013

A few days ago, a burglar stole my car battery (he previously crashed the driver side window). At first, I didn't realize there was fresh blood stains in certain areas. Although I was very careful, I must have place my hands on some of these areas while driving the car.

Eleven days after this contact, Im feeling sick: intense headache, fatigue, weakness, dizziness, muscle (especially back) pain and upset stomach. Apparently, I have not experienced fever (if I had, its definitely been low grade), my appetite has been normal and I have been able to go to work, but the discomfort is always present.

The fact that this symptoms appear one and a half week after the incident really got me thinking what would your recommendation? Do I need to go see a specialist? should I get tested? I would really really appreciate an answer for I don't know what to do.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

I'm sorry to hear about your car, but this doesn't sound like a risky situation for HIV at all.

First off, fresh blood means it's literally coming out of someone's body when you come in contact with it.. unless you were wrestling with the burglar the blood was around for so long that the HIV in it (we're guessing at whether it was there) died.

Second, that blood would've needed to have gotten inside your body.

From your description, it doesn't sound like any of that was possible.

Hope this helps,


hiv transmission
could I have HIV?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint