Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

safety of in vitro fertilization?
Aug 26, 2013

I was reading about reproduction with HIV. I have a HIV infected Aunt who want a baby, but she got her uterus removed, but still has her eggs. She has someone who would carry the child. My question is could her egg be cleaned if she was on ANTIVIRAL medication? What are the risks?

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there While male sperm can be "washed" to separate Sthe fertilizing sperm from the infectious seminal fluid.I am not aware of any procedure that can do something similar for women. I would have your aunt talk to her medical provider to learn about safe options for her to have a child as there may be other available options that they could suggest. Take care, LHW

Previous
missed my dosage again
Next
YOU AREN'T ANSWERING BECAUSE I MAY HAVE HIV??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.