In the dark

Hello anyone I recently started dating a man that is HIV positive I am negative, I have to say that I'm very uneducated about the whole situation, this man does take medication daily,and has been infected for 22 years but he also drinks alcohol daily, how much does this increae the risk of safety for myself? And also I accidentally bit my lip and the other day eating , is me kissing him going to be be unsafe. I mean how safe is kissing or anything else for that matter!! Please help my mind is racing!!!!

Hi First, thank you for choosing to be with him. Those of us living with HIV find it hard to find someone who loves us unconditionally.

The best thing to prevent HIV transmission is for your partner to continue in care and on treatment. We know that if you are on medications and have an undetectable viral load the risk of transmission decreases dramatically. Condoms are effective in the prevention of HIV transmission, as long as they are used correctly and do not break or slip off. Also if lubricant is used it must be water based. Oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission. Kissing does not pose a risk for transmission. I would recommend browsing through our site and go to our HIV 101 page and this will really give the best information on how to keep both you and your partner safe. And of course always feel free to ask any of us questions!!

Either doc Shannon or dr. wohl plzz
RE; I AM SO WORRIED DR. SHANNON