The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

In the dark

Aug 23, 2013

Hello anyone I recently started dating a man that is HIV positive I am negative, I have to say that I'm very uneducated about the whole situation, this man does take medication daily,and has been infected for 22 years but he also drinks alcohol daily, how much does this increae the risk of safety for myself? And also I accidentally bit my lip and the other day eating , is me kissing him going to be be unsafe. I mean how safe is kissing or anything else for that matter!! Please help my mind is racing!!!!

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi First, thank you for choosing to be with him. Those of us living with HIV find it hard to find someone who loves us unconditionally.

The best thing to prevent HIV transmission is for your partner to continue in care and on treatment. We know that if you are on medications and have an undetectable viral load the risk of transmission decreases dramatically. Condoms are effective in the prevention of HIV transmission, as long as they are used correctly and do not break or slip off. Also if lubricant is used it must be water based. Oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission. Kissing does not pose a risk for transmission. I would recommend browsing through our site and go to our HIV 101 page and this will really give the best information on how to keep both you and your partner safe. And of course always feel free to ask any of us questions!!

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Either doc Shannon or dr. wohl plzz

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint