Urgent: Baby's Infection Risk

Hi Richard, I would really appreciate your soonest feedback as I am worried sick about my baby girl, who recently started walking. I got a new nanny and I told her a lot that she should make sure that all the bathrooms' doors are closed, as my baby tends to pick up anything from the garbage, including tissue paper, and puts it in her mouth. One time, I came back home, and I found the door of the nanny's bathroom open, and I also found her used, bloody sanitary pads in the trash bin. Both my nanny & baby were sleeping when I came back home. I later told my nanny that I found her bathroom's door open, and I asked her if my baby was awake when she left it open, she said no. The next day, I asked her if my baby tried to pick up anything from any garbage lately, she also said no. But I cant really find out the truth. Maybe the nanny forgot to close the bathroom's door when my baby was actually awake; maybe she was in the kitchen doing something, and my baby got into the bathroom. Not knowing the HIV status of the nanny, I am so scared that my baby might have put any of the nanny's bloody pads in her mouth or rubbed her eyes after touching the pads. Is my baby at risk? Should she get tested? Appreciate your prompt feedback.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

I do not think you need to have your baby tested for HIV. The virus does not live well outside of the human body. Any virus present on the sanitary pad would be unable to infect another person. Also, the virus needs access to the bloodstream for transmission to occur. Having the virus in your mouth does not readily provide the virus with the direct access that it needs.

In health,

Richard

HIV negative at 8 weeks after "dipping"
Swollen lymph node