Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Posting 2nd time. Please answer. Is this Acute Retroviral Syndrome ?
Aug 21, 2013

While talking to a man a droplet of his saliva spurted through his mouth(like how sometimes saliva spurts through mouth of some people when they talk) and fell on inner side my lips. This man works as a manager/waiter in a dance bar. As you must be knowing prostitution goes on in dance bars.

This happened on 15th July. From 23rd July onwards I started having fatigue. From 29th muscle/joint pains started. Both symptoms slowly started decreasing and went away by around 11th Aug. On the night of 12th Aug I experienced severe throat pain and next day when I woke up I had a sore throat and ulcer in mouth on inner side of lower lip. After a day or two I started feeling that the lymph glands in my neck have become a bit sore. While turning the neck left-right I felt a bit strange below the ear under jaw. Since I didn't feel better I went to doctor on 16th Aug. After taking medicines I felt better in 1-2 days. However yesterday(20th Aug) I again felt soreness on underside of my tongue on left side and on roof of mouth. This went away by the night of that day. But today(21st Aug) I am again feeling soreness on underside of my tongue on right side. If pressed on the left of neck I am experiencing some pain in the lymph gland but there was never any swelling on outside. I never had fever.

Sorry if I irritated you with so many details. So is this Acute Retroviral Syndrome(ARS) ? Do I really have to get myself tested(I am afraid to test) and when ?

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- HIV is not transmitted in saliva thus you are not infected and your symptoms are not acute HIV. take care LHW

Previous
Contagious after Syphilis Treatment
Next
Worried about needle stick...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.