Still paranoid

Good day!

Last month, I had unprotected oral sex with a Lawyer I've met in a gay social site and after some arrangements we decided to meet in his house. I was the receptive and he was the insertive. Accidentally he ejaculated in my mouth. The thing that bothered me was that I have a mucocele (but it was not bleeding) and I brushed my teeth before meeting him. But I did the right thing of spitting it out, but I'm still afraid that some of his semen touched the mucous membrane of my mouth. I know the chance of acquiring HIV through oral sex is rare or low. But after two weeks prior sex, I developed a severe sore throat that lingers for a week, dry cough and runny nose. I asked him if he's really disease free, including HIV, and he always respond that he's negative and disease free. I'll be testing for HIV after 3 months prior to my possible exposure when antibodies against HIV develop. What do you think of my case? Still paranoid. Ughh!

Thank you very much :D

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

The risk of HIV transmission with oral sex is extremely low. It is even reasonable to state that for the person receiving oral sex (that is on whom oral sex is being performed) the risk of acquisition of the virus is practically zero. For the person placing his or her mouth on someone else's genitals, the risk may be slightly higher but still very very low. Theoretically, obvious cuts, wounds, sores, or infections in the mouth could raise this risk. But relatively speaking this is still considered to be a low-risk sexual activity as the mouth is not a hospitable place for the HIV virus. Please note that other sexually transmitted infections are readily spread via oral contact and you may need to be checked for these.

Bottom line: I would not be concerned; the risk was low. If your symptoms persist then I would suggest a visit to the doctor, but know that they are not HIV related.

In health,

Richard

how much risk after condom break
Risk of HIV in oral thrusting?