Negative bottom with Poz top PEP?

I know this is probably such a common question and your sick of it.. But I'm just very weary of everything I read online and concerned about my healthy..

I've recently become intimate/dating a guy who is HIV+. I'm a negative receptive guy, the only things we have done are mutual masturbation so far and protected sex..

My questions are

He precums a lot and he rubs his penis around my ass but NEVER penetrates just a lot of Precum and I get him off, I have very cracked dry skin.

Also we for the first time had sex last night where it was 100% protected and he came into he condom. We checked for leaks but it was seemingly in tact when he pulled out..

Wiki says condoms are less tha 95% effective, but since it didn't break and with these two activities I described, is there ANY risk at all I would need to be concerned.. Do I need PEP like my gen pract described??

Thanks again

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in. Also, thank you for being open to dating someone who is HIV positive! Not everyone is as open as you are.

I do not think this was a high-risk situation, and there is no need for PEP.

The virus does not live well outside of the human body. Any virus present in his pre-ejaculatory fluid would be unable to infect you. Rubbing up against each other does not allow the virus direct access to the bloodstream or provide a portal of entry into the body. The virus needs both for transmission to occur.

Since you used a condom during anal sex, you effectively protected yourself against HIV. As long as the condom does not fall off or break, you can consider them 100% effective against preventing the spread of HIV. Again, this is only if the condom does not break or fall off.

Do you know if your partner's viral load is undetectable? If it is, transmission is less likely to occur. If he is not undetectable, or as an added precaution, you can talk with a doctor regarding the use of PrEP or PEP. PrEP is a one-pill regimen that you take once a day and it helps reduce the likelihood of transmission. PEP is a one-month course of HAART that can be taken after a high-risk incident. If you want to look into these options further then I would suggest talking with another doctor besides your own. This was not a high-risk situation, and they should not have prescribed PEP for this incident. A high-risk incident would be if he had a high viral load, ejaculated inside of you, and the condom broke. This was not high-risk at all.

Check out our forum on Mixed Status Couples. You'll be able to read questions (answers) from couples who are in the same situation as you are. Good luck, and be sure to keep the lines of communication with your partner open.

In health,

Richard

what's my risk?
how much risk after condom break