HIV from a plastic bag

HI,

I was embarrassed to get a prostate check up so i googled how to do this myself. I used a sandwich bag to cover my hand and did so. I am worried though at the possibility of catching HIV from the bag. It looked clean, was dry and was new out of a packet of 100 but they where produced in Thailand (fairly high on the amount of people with aids). I know this may sound silly but I am currently suffering with anxiety for other reasons on am now worried about this. I know HIV does last long outside the body and the packs have been in my cupboard for months so i think the risk is fairly low. I just don't know if it could have survived on plastic and then been transferred when i checked my prostate even though the packet has been exposed to air. Any advice would be appreciated.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

There was no risk of HIV transmission in this situation. None. You cannot catch HIV from an inanimate object such as a plastic bag.

My advise for you is as follows:

1: If scenarios like this play play out in your mind with any sort of frequency, then I would suggest talking with a counselor, therapist, or other trained mental health professional. They can help you work through thoughts like these.

2: You should not give yourself a prostate exam. There is nothing to be embarrassed about. Please make an appointment with your doctor and have perform the examination.

In health,

Richard

oral sex
Potential risk