Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What percentage are "immune" to HIV infection?
Aug 19, 2013

My husband of 9 years was just diagnosed and has a cd4 54 and viral load of about 1 million. Somehow I am negative. We've always had an active sex life, every kind of sex, almost everyday for 9 years. Even shortly after our kids were born (natural) when I had barely recovered from lots of internal stitches, I also had hemorrhoids...it's just so hard to believe I am negative.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in. No one is immune to HIV. However, as you can see from your own experience, HIV is not transmitted during each act of sexual intercourse. Also, the type of sexual act increases or decreases the likelihood of transmission. Anal sex is riskier than vaginal sex, and the risk is always higher for the partner being penetrated. If the majority of the sex you were having was vaginal then the risk of transmission was fairly low. For receptive penile-vaginal sex, the risk is less than 1% per act. That's fairly good odds. However, after nine years of almost daily sex, it sounds like you are one lucky lady!

Going forward, I would suggest using a condom for each and every act of penetrative anal or vaginal sex. f your husband's viral load is undetectable for six months or more, and you both are monogamous with each other you could certainly look into not using condoms because transmission would be considered unlikely if those two criteria were met. Another added safety precaution would be for you to start PrEP. PrEP is a once daily pill that you take to help reduce the likelihood of acquiring HIV during intercourse with your husband. You can discuss the use of PrEP with your husband's doctor.

When you have a moment be sure to check out the archived Mixed-Status-HIV Couples forum here on the body. The link is HERE..

I hope this helps.

In health,

Richard

Previous
HIV and Needles
Next
oral sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.