Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do I need to continue PEP?
Aug 18, 2013

So I got extremely drunk the other night and wound up with a transexual at a bar. Went back to her place, received and gave oral sex. I bottomed and used a condom. Probably bottomed for a full 1 minute. I didnt check the condom after to see if it broke, but he/she did not ejaculate. I know that for a fact. She put my penis into her anus quick for one thrust until common sense told me to take it out... Im not that worried about that.

I just started PEP today (48 hours after encounter) and the nausea is killing me. I have to go back to the clinic to get the rest of my dosage in the next 2 days. I kinda fibbed to my doctor and said the condom broke just to guarantee I got the PEP. THIS IS MY FIRST GAY ENCOUNTER. THIS IS ALSO MY FIRST HIV ENCOUNTER. I actually do not know for a fact if this shemale is HIV positive.

So all in all, should I go along with the PEP? 2nd, should I stop now instead of continuing and stopping 2 weeks in? And lastly, do side effects continue at full force the whole 28 days or will I get used to them?

PS, I was talking to a clinic where they do an accurate blood test 11 days after HIV contact. Is this trustworthy?

Response from Dr. Wohl

I would say this was a risky encounter and would have offered you PEP even if you told the truth.

You don't mention what PEP you are taking. It could be that an adjustment can be made to your regimen to reduce the side effect of nausea.

You should ideally complete a 4 week course or the meds but if they continue to make you sick, then your clinic may decide to stop the PEP.

Testing can be done at anytime. If antibody tests alone are used, the 12 week test is considered conclusive. The p24 antigen and HIV RNA PCR tests become positive way before antibodies are detected but I would check these 4 weeks or so after you finish PEP.

DW

Previous
Vagina in contact with blood on toilet seat!! Please help me
Next
dr shannon I need advice please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.