Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re; 4th time. answer me please. Aug 13, 2013
Aug 18, 2013

4th time. answer me please Aug 13, 2013

Dear Doctor, Can you explain what is borderline positive results indicate? If someone truly infected with HIV can he have Borderline reactive results beyond the window period? I had two HIV test beyond the window period(negative) but my cutoff ratios are border line reactive but my clinic said I'm negative.They even didn't western blot test to confirm my results should I retest again? my exposure was a vaginal inter cross with a sex worker in 2012 November.

Response from Dr. Wohl

It actually sounds like your tests are negative and not indeterminate. Antibody tests look for a certain amount of HIV to be present. These are sensitive test, meaning they tend to over call infection rather than under call infection. If you do not have sufficient antibody present to be positive, you are considered negative. Some people may have an indeterminate HIV antibody test. This can be due to testing early in infection, when antibodies are just being revved up or due to a cross reacting antibody that was made to something else but is also being picked up by the test (false positive). You are clearly not in early HIV infection and so likely have a cross reacting antibody. If this is driving you nuts, get a p24 antigen test (4th generation HIV test) as this looks for actual virus. An HIV viral load test (HIV RNA) does the same. DW

Doctor,you told me to get p24 test but I already done it.my 2 tests were 4 th gen tests so doctor what does they mean now should I repet the test am I actually negative please help me.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Perfect, if you have negative 4th generation so you are not infected. The test would be positive if p24 was present. It obviously was not. You need not do any more testing. You are not infected.

DW

Previous
Hepatitis C and HIV coninfection
Next
Please answer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.