spermicide

if were to a spermicde only...no condom...for man to man oral sex,would this help with protection from HIV ?

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- No, this would not be an optimal choice to prevent infection. Spermicides are used to kill sperm and prevent pregnancy, not HIV. In fact, the most commonly used spermicide in the U.S. is called nonoxynol-9. If it is used many times a day, or if it is used by people at risk for HIV, it may irritate tissue and increase the risk of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections. I would suggest condoms as a more optimal choice. Take care, LHW

Ah so I need advice!
Dr. Wohl, dog poop and commonly asked questions