hiv and pregnancy

Hi, I've been HIV positive for a year now, my cd4 count is 768 this month and its never went down. My boyfriend is hiv negative and we always use condoms and its never burst. 3 months back I found out that I'm 5 months pregnant and up until today we don't know how o when it happened. Does that mean that he is now also infected with hiv? Is the baby also going to be hiv positive when its born? Please reply

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

It may be hard to figure out how you got pregnant (most likely the condom tore but didn't totally rip), but at this point there are steps that you and your partner can take to make sure that both of you stay as healthy as possible.

You've probably already started this but talk to your doctor about what you both can do to greatly reduce the chance of your baby being born HIV positive. Treatment has come a long way and there are incredibly effective ways to keep your baby negative!

Illinois has a Perinatal Hotline with a lot of great information (this might help your doctor too).

Also, your boyfriend should be tested (if he hasn't been tested recently). You all may want to talk to your doctor about PEP just in case a condom tears in the future.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Am I at risk of getting Hepatitis C please help me
saliva containing some blood