Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Am I at risk of getting Hepatitis C please help me
Aug 17, 2013

I am sorry about my english but I'm going to try my best so you guys can understand me :) Is it true that you can catch hep c by living with someone if you touch anything with blood and you don't know there was blood there or by a hug kiss etc is that true please let me know because last weekend I went to a club and there was a mobile home outside the club where they were doing the HIV rapid test so I decided to get tested I went in and there's was a young transexual girl who got tested and I saw the test and it was positive. I freaked out and I was little drunk so the guy gave me the test with the oral swab and I passed it around my mouth but what I'm scared about is what about if the HIV counselor used the same test on me and the oral swab would have had blood on it will I get Hep C or HIV?

Response from Mr. Glenn

There is no risk for Hepatitis C from what you're talking about.

First, it's not that blood is simply around or you touch it. It's that the blood gets inside you. That didn't happen in your case.

Second, the HIV counselor didn't use the same oral swab on you! That just doesn't happen. Even if it did, the swab would've needed to have a lot of blood on it from the other person's mouth when it went into your mouth. And then you would've needed to have a significant wound of some sort inside your mouth for the that blood to get into. That's a lot of IFs! Especially when the swab wasn't even reused.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
Please take this Scenario:
Next
hiv and pregnancy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.