Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bacteria Vaginosis and Blisters
Aug 17, 2013

Hey, first I want to say thank you for taking time out to read and answer my questions. Well after my boyfriend and I have sexual intercourse I developed a sore between my vagina and anus. A day later it turned into a blister and after that it burst which made me raw. I went to the doctor and they told me I have BV so the prescribed me Flagyl. I was wondering if BV can cause me to have a blister?

It also hurts when I urinate. I was looking up my symptoms and one thing that hit me the most was the word "herpes". Do you think it might be herpes?

I've been with my partner for almost a year and he is the only person I sleep with. Oh we also have ruff sex. We dont use protection. Oh and Ive been tested for everything just waiting for my results to come in. I pray to God I don't have herpes

Please help me!!!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There's a few things to unpack here. First off, I wouldn't be looking to BV as the cause of your blister when 1) those symptoms aren't associated with BV and 2) you have strong (other) possibilities that could have caused it.

It's very possible that the BV is causing the pain when you urinate (that is one of it's symptoms. Herpes typically isn't related to burning when you go to the bathroom. I'm surprised that you're not seeing Gonorrhea or Chlamydia listed instead.. But again, it sounds like BV is really the cause.

When it comes to your blister, you mentioned that you and your partner have rough sex. It's very possible that the skin between your vagina and anus just got irritated from that.

After saying all that, I feel like I should say something about Herpes itself. Herpes is actually a lot more common than people think. Most people don't really experience frequent/intense symptoms and in and of itself it's not something that'll send someone to the hospital. The only way to know for sure what that blister was, would be to go in and have it looked at (if it comes back). But it's very possible it was just a normal blister.

Hope this helps!

Erik

P.S. For more information about Bacterial Vaginosis, check out our fact sheet.

Previous
whats my risk
Next
Can you get HIV from drinking water mixed with blood?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.