The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sore throat

Aug 16, 2013

Hello and thank you for considering my question. I am a male who recently engaged in oral sex with another man. No ejaculation in my mouth, but likely precum. A couple days afterward, my throat turned red and is pretty sore. I also have one large canker sore, though I'm not sure if the two are connected (but it is painful!). It has almost been two weeks, and the sore throat persists. A couple of questions: 1. How likely is the sore throat a result of an STD (like gonorrhea)? 2. I assume there is very little chance this would be HIV, correct? 3) i've come across some statements that throat gonorrhea may go away on its own over time; is that correct? One of the reasons I ask is that I am traveling for work and will not be home for a couple more weeks. I'm wondering if I need to get checked right away (not sure if insurance will cover me way out of network).

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

1: It could be an STD. It could also be strep throat. It's hard to say without doing a throat swab and testing to find out what it is.

2: This is not HIV related.

3: Gonorrhea will not go away on its own. You could find local clinics in the area you are in that can test and treat you. If the pain of the sore throat is not that bad, then you could wait until you get home to go in for testing.

In health,


a little concerned
please reply.I am stressed after having sex with prostitute

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint