HIV Infection Chances

Hi, I had unprotected vaginal sex about 2 months ago. (unknown status of women I slept with) Freaked out of my mind I went for a STD/HIV test 4 days after the incident as I had a severe sore throat and fever 2 days after the sexual encounter. Obviously the HIV test wouldn't have been accurate since it would take time for the antibodies to develop. During my fever/sore throat, i went back to the GP couple days later again since i started developing sore spots on my hands and feet and could barely walk. the GP said it was Hand Foot Mouth Disease. Since then, I have not yet had any specific sore throat or feverish symptoms. However, I have had skin peeling off the bottom of my foot. (Not sure if its an aftermath of HFMD, or just dry skin or other factors). Just wondering if Acute HIV could present as HFMD since i had the sore throat and fever. I am waiting for the 3 month mark to do another HIV blood test, but have been extremely freaked out and worried that i had shown acute HIV symptoms. I am also not circumsized, so i believe that increases the chances of receiving HIV (assuming the girl had HIV)?

Thank You

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Some of the symptoms you are experiencing are similar to ARS symptoms. However, I do not believe these symptoms are HIV related. The incident itself was fairly low-risk overall. Unprotected penetrative sex is a higher-risk activity, but since it was a one-time occurrence, and you were the insertive partner transmission would be unlikely. You are correct though, being uncircumcised does increase the likelihood of transmission. If transmission had occurred, it is very unlikely that symptoms would appear that quickly. We don't typically see symptoms present until two weeks or so after transmission has occurred.

Bottom line: Test at 90 days for a conclusive result. I am confident the result will be negative. In the future, be sure to use a condom for each and every act of penetrative sex. It's the best way to protect yourself against HIV and many other STD's.

In health,

Richard

woried with symptoms
cut by unknown object of person