In need of a doctors opinion.

I am a gay man, and I am very careful about who I sleep with. However not everyone is honest and now I find myself more afraid than i have ever felt in my life. Yesterday I had sex with an ex of mine. I used a condom, I used it correctly and there was no breakage or slippage. There was however unproteced oral sex. Before this I had been told that oral sex was a low risk activity and I had nothing to worry about, but after my ex had confessed that he had HIV I freaked out and did some more research. I had been eating salty sunflower seeds and I had a few red spots on my tongue which felt a little tender, I hadn't payed much attention to them. I blew him for a very short amount of time but I think I may have tasted some pre cum. I didn't let him finish in my mouth and I didn't penetrate him without a condom, but is there a chance I may have contracted it through his pre cum? I was a fool for trusting him and I hope with all my heart that I haven't caught HIV. What do you think, should I be worried?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

I'm sorry he did not disclose his status ahead of time. He should have. Fortunately for you this was a low-risk encounter.

The risk of HIV transmission with oral sex is extremely low. It is even reasonable to state that for the person receiving oral sex (that is on whom oral sex is being performed) the risk of acquisition of the virus is practically zero. For the person placing his or her mouth on someone else's genitals, the risk may be slightly higher but still very very low. Theoretically, obvious cuts, wounds, sores, or infections in the mouth could raise this risk. But relatively speaking this is still considered to be a low-risk sexual activity as the mouth is not a hospitable place for the HIV virus. Please note that other sexually transmitted infections are readily spread via oral contact and you may need to be checked for these.

I hope this helps.

In health,

Richard

Please take this Scenario:
could i have HIV