Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV infection possibility
Aug 2, 2013

Hello. I am a 26 yr old male. When I was 19 or 20. I did heroin which was also my last time...not the smartest thing to do I know and I have been clean. I did it with my friends boyfriend. I met her and then started becoming friends with him as well. He said that the needle was clean and that I can go first because he knows I dont have anything if Im scared. So I did go first and he went after me using the same needle. A couple months ago I was reading something and it mentioned needles and hiv. All of a sudden a thought entered my mind about when i tried heroin. What if the needle was dirty. It looked clean to me i thought. My question is. Is it possible for me to be posotive? I stopped talking to those people a long time ago. Please help.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

HIV does not live well outside of the body and starts to die the moment it leaves the human body. While infected blood in the barrel of the needle can survive for longer periods of time, it is unlikely that any blood present would have been able to infect you with HIV.. Hepatitis C however would be a concern because it can live for up to a couple of weeks in dried blood.

My concern in this situation is that you are 26, this happened when you were 19, and you don't mention being tested for HIV or other STD's since then.

Anyone who is sexually active in the slightest should be tested for all STD's, including HIV at least once a year. Every six months is even better.

I would suggest visiting your doctor or local clinic for a full round of STD testing.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Worried Sick
Next
please I am stressed out with this esr rate :(

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.