Starting a family

Before my husband and I started dating 3 years ago I had a one night stand and I am not 100% sure protection was used! We are looking to start a family. I was tested a little over 5 months after the encounter with standard EIA test type 1 and 2 hiv antibody test. Results and all other std test were negative. Question: can I be confident that having unprotected sex with my husband is okay and that I am HIV negative??? Please help we want children and I am paranoid!!!!

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there The sensitivity of HIV testing has improved greatly over the past few years. Current antibody tests can pick up HIV infection earlier than prior tests and by 90 days practically all (97%) infections are detected by antibody testing alone the remainder turn positive by 180 days. Therefore, a negative HIV antibody test after 90 days means that infection was highly unlikely and a test that is negative at 180 days or beyond is considered conclusive for the absence of HIV infection. My guess is that you are negative but to be 100% sure you could retest and relieve any remaining anxiety. Take care and good luck LHW

What are the chances of being HIV Positive
about exess sperm out