Condom Breaks during intercourse

Hi The condom breaks off during a intercourse with the prostitute. I realize when there was ejaculation, I immediately take it off and wash it off. 28 hours passed I haven't started the PEP yet as I heard there are serious side effect for the same, I will be checking the same tomorrow. I checked with the Pros she informed she don't have HIV. I have been tested negative 3 month earlier. Now my big time question shall I go for PEP immediately or just wait to see if at all I am infected as this was my experience of condom being broke. Your advice gives me real direction. Is there any serious consequences of PEP treatment, How far its effective, I know it has to be taken within 72 hours, Appreciate your quick advice..Thanks In advance.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there I recommend PEP to any person recently exposed to the virus. For example, you may have been exposed to HIV if you had sex without a condom, the condom broke during sex, you were sexually assaulted, or you shared needles while tattooing or shooting drugs. In your case, you engaged in unprotected vaginal sex with a woman whose HIV status is unknown so PEP would be advised. It is critical that you initiate PEP within two to 72 hours after potential exposure to HIV -- generally considered the window period during which the virus travels from the initial point of contact to the bloodstream. PEP attempts to destroy the virus before it enters your bloodstream. Once it enters your blood, you will become infected. The number of pills you must take each day depends on which medicines your health-care provider selects. The doctor will prescribe a combination that is right for you. All have potential side effects -- such as nausea, headaches, vomiting, fatigue and diarrhea -- but your medical provider can help you manage those symptoms. Hope that helps Take care, LHW

first time sex with a sex worker
contact with vaginal fluids