about HIV

I did 5 times unprotected sex with an HIV positive last month I did my test i'm negative but i'm afraid i'm taking the prevention pill for one month I would like to know after taking the pill I will still be negative?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Unprotected sex with someone who is HIV positive definitely holds a risk a passing HIV.

BUT, taking PrEP, or as you called it "the prevention pill" can be very effective at preventing HIV as long as it's taken properly. Whoever prescribed you PrEP should've given you specific instructions to follow.

If you're following them (basically taking them consistently and on time), that's great! But remember that while PrEP dramatically reduces the chance of getting HIV, it doesn't completely eliminate it.

So if you've been taking it like you should, your risk for getting HIV would be very low!

For more information about PrEP, check out our articles

Hope this helps!

Erik

Has it ever been seen in recent years?
protected sex