Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Any hiv risks???im very frustrated pls help!

Jul 23, 2013

Dear Doc,

Please help me with my situation, doc! Donation will be made!

The following is my case: I am a male and about 10 days ago I was drunk in bar. There is this random Indian guy who danced with me as friends and put in arm round my neck from behind. However, his arm accidentally touched my lips(and a bit of my inner flesh of the lips) It has lasted for around 3 to 5 seconds. I see that the guy has tattoo and might have some minor cuts/scabs

When I went home that night, I realized the skin on my lips are peeling off ( I guess this is what they called chapped lips). I worry that this provides an opportunity as open cuts for the HIV virus to get into my bloodstream. Though through out the whole night I did not taste or see any blood, only peeling skins. My peeling skins have gone away immediately after I finished shower and they look the same to the normal lips I have before peeling just a bit more reddish. I use tissue to wipe on my lips to make sure if there's any blood fall on the tissue, again I see no blood.

I would like to ask the percentage/ possibility for getting infected this way. on the other hand,assuming in the worst scenario that my lips were chapped and had slight bleeding. What is the probability/ percentage of getting infected this way??

My theory was that if there were cuts they will not be gone right after I finish shower and should still be visible after the shower. Hence, when I see my lips look normal just a bit reddish after the shower with no cuts, I assumed I have no cuts.

However, 10 days later ( today) I find that my body is heating up and There seems to be a fever on its way coming. I am very paranoid and worry that I'm infected.

Please provide me your professional advices and much will be appreciated!!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Percentage/Possibility? None..

There were no cuts on your lips (from what you're telling me). Chapped lips are not broken or open.

Therefore there wasn't a way for an infectious fluid to get inside you body. On top of that, there doesn't seem like there wasn't infectious fluid anyway!

Most of what you're telling me really sounds like a story of anxiety run amok.

Hope this helps!

Erik

P.S. TheBody.com is a free site with an open forum. Donations are great and encouraged, but hardly necessary. Additionally, a donation will not make it more likely that we'll answer your questions.. For anyone that feels like we haven't got to their question, check out our archives! Many questions have been answered already.

Previous
semen
Next
unprotected oral without ejaculating

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.