Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

long awaited reply
Jul 21, 2013

Dear Expert,

this is the 3rd time i am asking the same question addressing to any Expert , I had addressed a concern more than 3 weeks ago , did not get reply yet.

I am a Male an had an expoure with HIV +ve female . i did many tests at var Intevals 2 weeks , 3 weeks , 4 weeks , 6 weeks and finaly 90 days and 91 day. the 90th day test titled HIV I & II Antibodies , the metod By 4th geeration Elisa & Tridot sopt method " Lab claims this is one of the best methods . the result says NON-Reactive.

on 91th day i did a test in diffrent lab , the test name HIV-DUO by CMIA ( IV geneation test)the result shows NON REACTIVE ( 0.09) and thenremark says Non eacive below 1.0 index , Reactive 1.0 index & above

my questions

1- How reliable both test ? do this test look for Both anti gines and anti Bodies ? or only Anti Bodies ?

2- whyo ne test simpy said Non reactive while the oter iicated some Value?

3- am i at risk or i should have my full piece of mind after this var test ?

4- when we say HIV starts to die quickely once it leaves the body , is not the same can apply on the given blood sample in the labs ? i mean in that case also HIV may die before the lab takes the test is not this right ?

Thanks

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The testing guidelines are to be initially tested at 3 weeks and then again at 90 days post exposure and as long as there are no other exposures during this time, the results are conclusive. HIV does begin to die once it is outside of the body but in testing it is looking for your bodies antibodies being developed against HIV. These will be present and will be seen if indeed you have HIV. With your testing results showing negative to this point I would feel comfortable stating that you are HIV free.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Help very nervous
Next
Shannon please help.. want to start a family

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.