I gave a BJ!

Hi Doctors, I gave a BJ to a friend about a month ago. He didn't release in my mouth, but when he released on the chair, I licked it and swallowed it. I have been having a mild headache and cough for a few days now. Is it possible that I have HIV? I am a gay teenager still in the closet and I can't get a test without my parents knowing about it. Help me please!!!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Oral sex itself has a low risk for HIV. As for the semen on the chair, HIV gets pretty weak and eventually dies after spending any significant time out in the air. This means that the risk of HIV gets lower the longer the semen was out on the chair.

But from what I'm hearing, yes, technically there was risk for HIV. Keep in mind that we recommend that all sexually active people get regularly screened for HIV/STDs.

Depending on your state you may not need your parents' permission or knowledge. It would just be about finding a place.

If it's helpful, check out our list of hotlines around the country to see if there's one that can give you local answers.

I know how hard it can be to be closeted, a teenager, and trying to explore your sexual interests all at the same time. The internet can be a huge resource to help get answers (like our website). There may be local resources, gay hotlines, etc. that can be helpful too!

Hope this helps!

Erik

urgent help
please help Dr