The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I gave a BJ!

Jul 17, 2013

Hi Doctors, I gave a BJ to a friend about a month ago. He didn't release in my mouth, but when he released on the chair, I licked it and swallowed it. I have been having a mild headache and cough for a few days now. Is it possible that I have HIV? I am a gay teenager still in the closet and I can't get a test without my parents knowing about it. Help me please!!!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Oral sex itself has a low risk for HIV. As for the semen on the chair, HIV gets pretty weak and eventually dies after spending any significant time out in the air. This means that the risk of HIV gets lower the longer the semen was out on the chair.

But from what I'm hearing, yes, technically there was risk for HIV. Keep in mind that we recommend that all sexually active people get regularly screened for HIV/STDs.

Depending on your state you may not need your parents' permission or knowledge. It would just be about finding a place.

If it's helpful, check out our list of hotlines around the country to see if there's one that can give you local answers.

I know how hard it can be to be closeted, a teenager, and trying to explore your sexual interests all at the same time. The internet can be a huge resource to help get answers (like our website). There may be local resources, gay hotlines, etc. that can be helpful too!

Hope this helps!


urgent help
please help Dr

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint