Blood on food - is transmission possible?

Hi Shannon,

First of all, thank you so much for answering all these queries that some of us have trouble diagnosing and assessing.

Today I went to get a sandwich, gobbled it down fast. Only after I finished the sandwich, that I noticed that the paper that wrapped the sandwich have quite a number of dark red stains on it (which color is not consistent with the condiments i place on the sandwich, as I did not put any chilli, ketchup or bbq sauce). I suspect that these "may" be blood stains. As I finish the sandwich fast, no idea if there are any stains on the sandwich.

Lets say that its HIV blood, I have searched the forum, and from most of the replies, the incident above should not have any risks? But from the web, some say HIV in blood may be able to live up to a few hours? Troubling indeed.

So in the worst case scenario, lets say that these blood stains are "fresh" HIV blood. From the time they prepare the sandwich until I eat it, roughly plus minus 1 minute. As I do have bleeding gums, I am quite worried over this incident. Do i need to get tested?

Thank you. 7th

Hi I'm happy to be answering questions and calming peoples fears. Thank you for your comments.

As for your situation, there is no risk of HIV transmission! If the worst case scenario was that it happened to be blood that contained HIV, once outside of the body HIV begins to die and is unable to infect. You also cannot get HIV through casual contact and this is considered that. You cannot get HIV from an inanimate object it has to occur with a direct exchange of body fluid with someone.

pls..pls...pls answer anybody..I am asking this 3 rd time...scary
Wound to wound