Re(3): A question for relief

Because I'm scared of the idea of getting HIV, I'm obsessed with it.. I never had unprotected vaginal/anal intercourse though I kind of had chance to do this.. May I ask you how long you are working in this field and how many patients a week do you have on average? Just for statistics. Thanks that's pretty relieving(one single case in your practice), and was this person a man who performed oral sex on woman? Also how many cases of unprotected vaginal/anal exposures have you had? Thanks a lot Dr. Shannon!

Hi First I'm not a doctor. I'm a medical care manager and an individual living with HIV. I have been working in the field for 20 years now. I've worked with every type of exposure, those statistics I believe don't matter, what matters is learning how to protect yourself from HIV transmission. Learning about how HIV is transmitted and again how to protect yourself is the most important thing.

HIV transmission occurs when there is a direct exchange of body fluid, blood, semen, vaginal fluid, or mother to child through breast feeding. Protection: Condoms are effective in the prevention of HIV transmission, as long as they are used correctly and do not break or slip off. Also if lubricant is used it must be water based. If needles are being used for ANY reason, drug use, diabetic, vitamin, tattoos, you ensure that the needle has never been used on or by anyone else. You know these two things and you protect yourself against HIV.

RE: Indirect Sports Contact - Possible transmission?
Form of HIV transition