condom

Hi shannon

Im 35 , almoust 2 year diagnost, heterosexual HIV positive , viral load undectectable , my girlfriend shes negative and we are worrie , last week we had sex , she was on top , in the process im alway checking that the condom is on the right place , this time we ware so in to it that for a moment we forgot about the condom and when i check i didnt have the condom on , it was inside of her.. My question is , how much of a risk or chances that she got infected. Hope you can answer my question shannon .

thank you so much for your help !!!

GB.

Hi In the research conducted so far, there have been no recorded HIV transmissions among heterosexual couples where the HIV-positive partner is on treatment and their blood viral load is undetectable. However, this does not mean the risk through condomless sex is zero. All of the couples studied to date have also reported using condoms often. This makes it difficult to determine the risk of HIV transmission when no condom is used. Although we know having an undetectable blood viral load can greatly reduce the risk of HIV transmission, it is unclear exactly what this risk is reduced to.

With all that science being thrown at you, the overall risk is extremely low. My husband is negative and though our situations are reversed I do make sure that he is tested about every 6 months just for peace of mind. My viral load is undetectable as well and we have those moments as well and it is a scary feeling.

To end, the risk is extremely low. You may want to look into using different types of condoms or have her use the female condom.

Be well and stay safe and healthy! Shannon

A question for relief
RE: Am I at risk?