Negative rapid test 5 and a half months post exposure

Hi Doctor,

I need your help regarding testing after pep. I was put on combivir for 30 days following an exposure to an hiv positive persons blood on intact skin when I provided an assault victim first aid.

The concerns where that in the time before noticing the blood and washing it off that I may have rubbed my eye or picked my nose etc... It was only a small amount of blood on my hand that had dried by the time I noticed it. I didn't touch any of his open wounds i just held his hand a had checked for his pulse.

I have since tested negative out to 5 and a half months using rapid tests, and also had a qualitative DNA pcr test 2 weeks after stopping pep. Do I need further testing to six months? Will the six months post exposure test be 100% conclusive? I've read a lot of articles talking about delayed serconvension due to hep c coinfection could you please educate me on this issue.

I have been experiencing muscle twitches and a skin irritation that comes and goes. Is this something to worry about. This has been an extremely traumatic experience for me and i am desperate to move on with confidence in my negative status as I am wanting to get engaged to my girlfriend and want to have absolutely no doubts about my status and avoid any risk of possibly infecting her due to mistakes on testing.

I would be truly thankful for your advice and help

The six month HIV test will be conclusive. There should not be any interference by HCV in HIV antibody production by this time point. Your exposure does not sound risky at all and may not have even warranted PEP.

Indirect Sports Contact - Possible transmission?
Duo test 2