Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Negative rapid test 5 and a half months post exposure
Jun 30, 2013

Hi Doctor,

I need your help regarding testing after pep. I was put on combivir for 30 days following an exposure to an hiv positive persons blood on intact skin when I provided an assault victim first aid.

The concerns where that in the time before noticing the blood and washing it off that I may have rubbed my eye or picked my nose etc... It was only a small amount of blood on my hand that had dried by the time I noticed it. I didn't touch any of his open wounds i just held his hand a had checked for his pulse.

I have since tested negative out to 5 and a half months using rapid tests, and also had a qualitative DNA pcr test 2 weeks after stopping pep. Do I need further testing to six months? Will the six months post exposure test be 100% conclusive? I've read a lot of articles talking about delayed serconvension due to hep c coinfection could you please educate me on this issue.

I have been experiencing muscle twitches and a skin irritation that comes and goes. Is this something to worry about. This has been an extremely traumatic experience for me and i am desperate to move on with confidence in my negative status as I am wanting to get engaged to my girlfriend and want to have absolutely no doubts about my status and avoid any risk of possibly infecting her due to mistakes on testing.

I would be truly thankful for your advice and help

Response from Dr. Wohl

The six month HIV test will be conclusive. There should not be any interference by HCV in HIV antibody production by this time point. Your exposure does not sound risky at all and may not have even warranted PEP.

DW

Previous
Indirect Sports Contact - Possible transmission?
Next
Duo test 2

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.