Indirect Sports Contact - Possible transmission?

Hi Shannon,

Just need a professional feedback on this.

Scenario: I was playing basketball with a bunch of friends and strangers. One of the strangers have a wound on his palm. He have a band aid on, but the wound is bigger than the band aid, and blood and fluids on the exposed wound still seems to be very visible. Through the course of the games we played, he did touch me a few times with his palm. Scratches aside, I do not have any open wound. But I did rub my eyes and nose from time to time.

So my question is, if the stranger is HIV positive: 1. with his wound touching my scratch wound, is this a possible transmission risk?

2. if his wound touch my hand, which I use to rub my eyes and nose (mucous membrane), is this a possible transmission risk?

3. how about indirect contacts? his wound touching the ball, which we touch and in turn touching nose and eyes (mucous membrane) -- which is sometimes, just seconds apart. Is this a possible transmission risk?

4. Do I need to get tested?

Will greatly appreciated your feedback on this.

Thank you. Regards, Seventh

Hi The risk through sport exposure is extremely low to no risk at all. There would have to be a direct exchange of body fluid. Since none of your scratches were open there is no risk there. Also just by rubbing your eyes or nose your hands would have to have a significant amount of blood on them for there to even start to be a risk of HIV transmission.

You are HIV free and can continue playing sports with this person with no worries!

Rhuematic Heart condition and hiv tests
Negative rapid test 5 and a half months post exposure