Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Indirect Sports Contact - Possible transmission?
Jun 30, 2013

Hi Shannon,

Just need a professional feedback on this.

Scenario: I was playing basketball with a bunch of friends and strangers. One of the strangers have a wound on his palm. He have a band aid on, but the wound is bigger than the band aid, and blood and fluids on the exposed wound still seems to be very visible. Through the course of the games we played, he did touch me a few times with his palm. Scratches aside, I do not have any open wound. But I did rub my eyes and nose from time to time.

So my question is, if the stranger is HIV positive: 1. with his wound touching my scratch wound, is this a possible transmission risk?

2. if his wound touch my hand, which I use to rub my eyes and nose (mucous membrane), is this a possible transmission risk?

3. how about indirect contacts? his wound touching the ball, which we touch and in turn touching nose and eyes (mucous membrane) -- which is sometimes, just seconds apart. Is this a possible transmission risk?

4. Do I need to get tested?

Will greatly appreciated your feedback on this.

Thank you. Regards, Seventh

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The risk through sport exposure is extremely low to no risk at all. There would have to be a direct exchange of body fluid. Since none of your scratches were open there is no risk there. Also just by rubbing your eyes or nose your hands would have to have a significant amount of blood on them for there to even start to be a risk of HIV transmission.

You are HIV free and can continue playing sports with this person with no worries!

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Rhuematic Heart condition and hiv tests
Next
Negative rapid test 5 and a half months post exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.