|efficiency of tests
Jun 30, 2013
Man here who have a busy sex life for past one year (2012-2013) with my girlfreind (partly a CSW). For all that one year we performed protected vaginal/anal sex. First week of March 2013, she tested positive. I am trying to figure out if i am on Risk status. The reason i am asking about risk is that i don¡t know when was she infected and when she was on her ¡¡window period¡¡.
(I) We used condom for many reasons being: 1) Safe Sex 2) Other Deseases 3) Pregnancy. And We had Unprotected Deep oral to where french kissing and she sucking and hand job me condom less.
Coming back to the Risk factor as i was with her for One year and so and i all remember using condoms every time on sex with her. The problem is that I WASNT MAKING sure about the condom at the end of my deed with her (leaked / broke / slipped). Always after the deed either she or me take it out and dispose it. I haven¡t seen it after the deed or she has never informed me that the condom leaked / broke / slipped.
After knowing her status i was frightened and scared...and here are my tests which i did:
- 6 weeks Rapid test finger prick (Alere Determine HIV 1/2 and unigold) (results Negative). - 8 weeks Rapid test finger prick (Alere Determine HIV 1/2) (results Negative). - 12 weeks Rapid test finger prick (Alere Determine HIV 1/2) (results Negative). My GP advise me to go for western blot due to my anxiety and worry. I know is kind of stupid to go for WB as I know it's only used to confirm Positive Test, but not Negative Test. The result came back ¡V HIV 1 & 2 Negative. - 13 weeks Rapid test (Bio-Line and ELISA) (results Negative).
I have read in many forum as 3 months (12 weeks) is conclusive also read 8 weeks is conclusive.
1) My question are.....what do u think can i conclude that i am negative ?? 2) Can the results in coming week change ?? 3) Please advice : Window period stands as 3 months or 6 month ???? others advicing 3 n others 6 months..... Please answer me this.....i hv been reading alot in net....few forums say 3 months n then u shud continue till 6months testing...the reason said is...the type of risk..... 4) I also checked CDC guidelines they also say that in 3 months 97% are concluded positive. So remaining 3% take further 3 months to be concluded to be positive. (very rare) My fear is am in not falling in the last 3% 5) Can you advice me the ¡¡Window Period¡¡ for Elisa tests ?
your replies will be appreciated
| Response from Ms. Southall
Hi Let's start with the testing info. The guidelines state to be tested at 90 days post exposure and as long as there we no other exposures during this time the results are conclusive. Your testing history shows that you are HIV free thus far. Your exposures, having protected vaginal sex and anal sex, condoms are effective in the prevention of HIV transmission, as long as they are used correctly and do not break or slip off. HIV transmission does not occur through kissing. It is transmitted through the direct exchange of body fluid, blood, semen, vaginal fluid or mother to child through breast feeding. Getting HIV from a woman is difficult and with wearing protecting becomes that much more difficult. It is not a guarantee that it won't happen but the risk of HIV transmission from a woman with the use of condoms is extremely low.
Be well and stay safe, Shannon
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- White Spots Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Itchy Balls After Kissing Cold Sore Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Vagina After Deep Kissing Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Swollen Lymph Glands After Breast Sucking Worried I Have HIV
- White Discharge After Sensual Massage Worried I Have HIV
- Can Genital Warts Cause Death?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.