Concerned Mom!

My question is my son got spit on by the yard maintenance man. It landed in his eye. Im not sure if it had blood in it. I do know they hire people in jail on work release. If it did have blood what is his risk for hiv or hep ? Should I have him tested? Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi I'm sorry you had to experience this and I can give you a sense of relief by stating that the risk of HIV transmission by being spit on is none! HIV transmission occurs when there is a direct exchange of body fluid, through blood, semen or vaginal fluid or mother's breast milk. HIV is not transmitted through saliva and in order for there to be a risk of HIV transmission there would have to be a large volume of blood in the spit.

You can rest easy that your son is fine. And remember that anyone can have HIV just because they are in jail does not make their risk any higher than anyone else.

genitals
scratch and HIV pathway