The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is 6 month test needed? plz. help me dying with stress.

Jun 30, 2013

Dear Sir, i had sexual encounter with hiv+ lady 4 months ago. I got tested at 100 day after exposure which comes negative. Now is it conclusive? MY councellor says i have to wait for 6 months test as my partner was hiv +.i have skin allery and hypothyroid. Plz. answer my query. I am very depressed. Plz. plz. help Sir. thanks in advance

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The testing guidelines are to be tested at 90 days post exposure and if there have been no other exposures during this time the results are conclusive. Your skin allergy and hypothyroid will not affect the outcome of the testing. There are a couple of things to keep in mind for future encounters especially when you know your partner has HIV. One always wear protection (condom) and know if your partner is on treatment. There are studies showing that someone living with HIV and on treatment there can be a reduction by up to 96% in risk of HIV transmission. It also depends on what type of sexual encounter you had. Was it vaginal, anal, oral? Each carry a different risk of HIV transmission. Having your test come back negative at 100 days post exposure is a good sign. You can have another test run at the 6 month mark, but again 90 days after the encounter is the recommendation.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Can I sell my unused HIV/AIDS medication on the street?
one dose on two days

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint