Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bad experience when giving sample
Jun 29, 2013

I am male. After a theoretical nipple suck incident, today I went for HIV test after spending hell of 12 weeks. There is an incident happen to concern again at the time of giving the sample. The nurse applied some antibody onitment on earlier patient hand (something had happen to earlier patient when she is trying to take the blood).

After less than 1 minute, with THAT SAME OINTMENT FINGER... she took some cotton and applied some sanitizer and then cleaned some place in my hand and took the blood. After that agian she took some coton and placed on my skin. What if, if HIV is still on her finger because of ointment?

She cleaned my skin surface with cotton and used a fresh syringe. what if, if there are some hiv contamination on my skin surface and then a syringe is used? I am feeling sad again to spend 3 more months to test again...

I read that HIV can survive for couple of minitues... There is a possibility that HIV can still on her finger surface and then it came to my skin surface and that hiv can enter into my blood stream with needle stick or after... there is a chance.... these are my fears.... Thanks.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

If I understand you correctly, you're concerned that the nurse used a finger to apply ointment on a patient then used the same finger to wipe your skin before drawing blood.

There is absolutely no risk from this situation.

You're right that HIV doesn't live long outside of the body, but in addition to that there has to be something carrying a body fluid with HIV. In your situation merely rubbing ointment on someone isn't going to pick up blood and put it on your body. Even if that did happen there would've needed to have been a lot of blood carried over. Even if that happened, it would've needed to get inside of your body.

None of this is happening in your situation.

BTW, a "nipple suck" situation doesn't really sound risky either. All this together makes it seem like this is really about your anxiety getting out of control. In this case it's really really important to focus on your anxiety and how to manage that.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
Kissed vagina
Next
confused about alcohol use and oral sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.