Occupational Exposure; Volume of Blood?

Hello from Canada Shannon!,

I am an avid reader of the forum and I noticed something brought up quite a bit that has me curious. When talking about an occupational exposure other than a needle stick it is often said the fluid exchange must be direct, from one source to the other, and immediate, within a minutes time though this confuses me as a blood splash by definition would occur spontaineously. My question is to due with the blood volume. When speaking of occupational exposures it is often said a large volume of blood is required. What amount would be considered a large volume of blood?

Thank you, Mr. Canuck

Hello, Occupational exposure carries a less than 3% risk of HIV transmission. for example: a blood soaked shirt of a health care worker that remained while performing CPR). There is no exact amount of what constitutes a large volume of blood but it is more than just a finger stick. Obviously the larger the amount of blood the higher the risk. Also if the person has HIV they would have to have a high viral load, most likely meaning off of meds or on a treatment that is not working for them. When someone has an undetectable viral load the risk of transmission reduces significantly.

hmmm I dont think so?
HIV from reused lancet/needle?