Curiosity

The story is when the Plebotomist finish drawing my blood for the test. She then threw the butterfly needle and everything else into the sharp container.

The problem is as she tried to push everything into the biohazard container, her glove covered hands touched the inside and the mouth of the container.

Note: The biohazard has a flat top head design, with a tight mouth to drop contaminate objects in, and it was located inside the cabinet. It was about 5 minutes since the previous patient until her hands hit it.

So my question is: Could there be a risk if her glove covered hands got blood on it from the container surface, and then she open and applied the bandages on for me?

Note: Her hands was all over the bandages after she opened it.

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- No this would not be possible. And, my guess that if the phlebotomist got stuck or blood from the sharps container on her hand, she would be much more concerned about her own health as the risk to her of getting stuck with a discarded needle is more significant. Therefore, I would not worry. take care LHW

Re: Does tied up condom provide same environment as syringe?
Can having a dog