Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HSV2 and hiv
Jun 27, 2013

I acquired hsv2 late april. on June 6 I started getting burning arms and hands. I tested negative HIV 2 weeks after vaginal intercourse. (Note 3 times in one night unprotected vaginal intercourse) The lady supposedly was tested two months prior with Insurance policy and it was negative? I have been in contact with her. She does not know about the hsv2 she has or did not share it with me. She also states she has only been with one person? I started having burning hands and arms on June 6th. I went back to the Dr. on June 12 got tested other std's, all negative. I started acyclovir again 500mg on June 13 and have been on it since once a day. My doctor told me not to worry but I have been panicked. The burning is not all the time but is now in my chest and armpits and arms is more noticeable at night when I lay down. Can you tell me if this is HIV related? Other symptoms fatigue, malaise. losing weight (worry or Acyclovir?)It is now June 27. I know the statistics. Very scared. If it turns out I do have hiv does it benefit to start aggressive treatment with infections disease person before the 10 weeks is up?

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- While your symptoms don't specifically sound like acute HIV, a standard HIV test would not be accurate at 2 weeks and I would recommend that you repeat your HIV testing now. A 4th generation ab/ag test or viral load test could provide you with accurate results if your exposure was in April. Guidelines encourage all people regardless of CD4 counts to be considered for therapy if they are positive and I in fact often recommend treatment for those with early/acute HIV. Take care, LHW

Previous
Risk of HIV exposure
Next
pinch the pin

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.