Negative

Dr. Hightow-Weidman, I just tested using the rapid finger prick for HIV 1/2 and it came out negative. I also tested negative for HIV 1 using the qualitative DNA PCR. However, in retrospect, I wonder why my doctor chose to use DNA PCR rather than RNA PCR considering how the last exposure was several years ago. I talked to another doctor and he says that HIV viral load (using qual. DNA) could have dropped to an undetectable level after a few years. However, I read from another source that if your HIV DNA test is positive, it will remain positive forever, and if it is negative, it will remain negative forever (as long as you do not engage in low or high risky behavior). So my question is, is it possible that if someone is positive for HIV, that HIV DNA qualitative will eventually churn out a negative result if the test was done years after exposure (and without use of any HAART)? Can I trust my negative DNA PCR result to be accurate?

I'm eagerly anticipating your answer. Thank you and all the best.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- Yes, in the setting of a negative antibody test and negative PCR test you can trust that you are indeed negative. Take care, LHW

HIV antibody
Response to "Spencer's Vibrator"