Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does tied up condom provide same environment as syringe?
Jun 26, 2013

I just have a question that has been puzzling me lately:

Does a used condom (with semen inside) that has been tied with a knot provide the same airtight environment as, for example, a syringe? In other words, can HIV live longer within this type of environment?

My roomate is both promiscuous and untidy and my child lives with us. I'm worried that she might pick up a used condom in my roommate's room and possibly break it, spilling the contents. In this instance, a previous sealed (knotted) condom would leak wet semen and, if my child had cuts, could provide a path for transmission.

Thank you in advance.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there Yes, technically HIV could remain viable longer in this environment than in the open air. Certainly the rapidity in which the condom was "sealed", the "air-tightedness" of the seal, volume of semen contained within it, HIV viral load and ambient temperature would all come into play and have a significant effect on the lifespan of HIV within the condom. One study of HIV survival within syringes performed under ideal laboratory conditions (not the "real world" environment) found some viable HIV virus days later but a syringe is not the same as a condom and am not aware of any studies looking at this. Take care, LHW

Previous
very low VL despite treatment
Next
help me pls

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.