Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hand Sanitizer vs. Rubbing Alcohol
Jun 26, 2013

Hi. I have a question regarding cleaning surfaces with hiv infected blood on them. In several answers I have read on this forum, the answers have stated that bleach and also rubbing alcohol can kill the virus on surfaces and should be used when cleaning up infected blood. However, in other answers I have read that hand sanitizer does not kill the virus. So, I guess my question is why not? If hand sanitizer has 70% alcohol in it, as many on the market now do, why is this not the same as rubbing alcohol that is 70% by volume. Would just like some clarification. Want to make sure I have all my facts correct. Thanks in advance.

Response from Mr. Glenn

It doesn't real matter which solution is used because HIV will die by itself just by being outside of the human body. And pretty quickly at that.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Previous
Testing accuracy on child
Next
Nasal mucosa

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.