Time and Esposure.

Hello Shannon I was reading a lot of answers in this amazing forum in order to get accurate info and get well educated about HIV transmission and I noticed u reply most of the time "Transmission of HIV from a contaminated surface would require massive exposure to blood or other infected liquid from prolonged period of time" I would like to question: How massive the exposure should be? How prolonged the time should be? Once the blood comes out the body How much time takes to the virus to die? Thank you in advanced. Sincerely Henry.

Hi Henry Thanks for the question. HIV begins to die once it leaves the body and is unable to infect. massive amounts mean more than just a finger prick and droplets of blood and prolonged contact means just that. For instance, a blood soaked shirt of a health care worker that remained while they performed CPR. HIV is very fragile and is very difficult to get. See HIV 101 and click on this link, HIV transmission to see more about how HIV is transmitted.

Possible infection
Testing accuracy on child