Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

magnetic couples and being truthful
Jun 24, 2013

Dear Shannon, Thank you, thank you for being so honest about your partner and you choosing not to use condoms. My partner who is negative and I who have undectable virus have gone back and forth about using a condom. We are both in our 50s and he has difficulty staying erect when a condom is put on. Yet, we continue to try using condoms almost all of the time, due to my anxieties and fear. I am on truvada and am religous about meds. Have there been any studies or research finding out how many "magnetic"/serodiscordant couples are not using condoms? It would great to see truthful results and having open discussions. Thanks Phil

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Thank you for your comments. The decision that my husband and I made is definitely one we made together and with my doctor. There are ongoing studies following magnetic heterosexual and same-sex couples who are taking HIV treatment, have an undetectable viral load, and do not always use condoms. These studies will provide a better understanding of the risk of HIV transmission when the viral load is undetectable. Although we know having an undetectable blood viral load can greatly reduce the risk of HIV transmission, it is unclear exactly what this risk is reduced to. But there is an estimate of reduction by up to 96%.

If condoms are a barrier you can try a few different things, one is try to put a little bit of your water based lubricant inside the condom. Also trying different condoms as there are many different types, colors, flavors, additions!!! There are also cock rings, that you can put on after the condom is on and this will help blood flow stay in the penis and may help with maintaining an erection. My husband is 50 as well and we try all these things as well when there are times we chose to wear a condom.

Be well and stay safe!!! Shannon

Previous
Information about Hiv
Next
Sex with prostitute

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.