Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Could I possibly get HIV from urine?
Jun 23, 2013

Hi. I'm a female and recently I've had a possible incident in which I was using a public restroom--urinating. In the middle of it, I felt that maybe some urine had splashed on my vulva (primarily on the labia majora, couldn't tell for sure if it touched another spot). I'm actually not sure if it was from inside the toilet or if it was my own urine going off track, but let's say it was the urine present in the toilet from the person who used it before me. There was no apparent blood in it (I checked before peeing there). If this was the urine of a HIV+ person, is there any chance it could infect me in this situation? And if there was non-apparent blood in that urine, could it infect me? Keeping in mind that I don't know how long that urine had been standing there.

Also, this week I had a flu shot and shortly after that I started having flu symptoms. Is there any correlation with HIV and the flu shot? Could it cause a reaction on people with an early stage of HIV?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There is absolutely no risk for HIV from this situation. None.

Urine does not transmit HIV. Even if there was blood in it, too much time would've passed.

If this kind of situation is something that preoccupies you, even after hearing how there's no risk. It might be less about actual risk and more about your anxiety surrounding a perceived risk.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
Contracting HIV from oral sex
Next
Swimming with an open wound

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.