Contracting HIV from oral sex

Hello, I performed oral sex on a guy 5 days ago and again 2 days ago. This morning I woke up with what I think are swollen glands in my throat. The guy did not ejaculate but the most recent oral sex (2 days ago) was pretty lengthy. I honestly don't think my glands are that swollen, my throat is not sore but when I swallow I can feel pressure from the sides where my glands are. They aren't visible like I have seen them before when I was sick. I am also producing a lot of mucus but that could be from me smoking more than usual this past week. I'm thinking that smoking induced the mucus, and the mucus in turn caused my glands to swell up. I can also feel myself draining. I know one of the early symptoms of HIV is swollen glands, but only my throat ones seem to be swollen, but it was oral sex so that would make sense. Again, no sore throat, a lot of draining and mucus, and pressure on the sides of my throat when I swallow. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I plan on getting checked in 3 months but if there is anything you can tell me until then that would be awesome. Thank you in advance!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

You're describing a lot of details, so let's take a second to tease them apart.

Oral sex is very low risk for HIV. Early symptoms of HIV are the same as the symptoms of tons of things, therefore looking at symptoms isn't always helpful.

What you're describing with your throat sounds pretty general (i.e. nothing too extraordinary). Instead of HIV, I'd be more curious about some sort of throat infection (maybe, maybe not STD related).

But how do you know if there's anything out of the ordinary going on? Talking to a doctor is basically the only way to know for sure. But the upside is that you'll know for sure!

If your throat continues to feel strange or gets worse, you should definitely followup with a medical professional who can examine you face-to-face.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Blood in mouth
Could I possibly get HIV from urine?