Blood in mouth

Hi there,

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about blood in the mouth as a potential risk for transmission. When blood comes into contact with the intact lining of the mouth, is his a route of tranmission? Or is it safe to assume it is rare occurrence? Or is the risk only increased when there are cuts or sores in the lining of the mouth?

The reason I pose the question is because I used a spoon that was in a cleaned dish bin at work, but I was not sure if there was any drops of blood on it before I put it in my food. Immediately after I placed my food in the microwave for about 3 minutes.

It seems like this is a "negligible" or "low" risk to infection, but I just wanted a second opinion.

Thanks!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

The situation you're describing with the spoon has absolutely no risk for HIV. Even if there were drops of blood on it (how likely is that though??), way too much time passed between when that blood would've been placed on the spoon and when you used it (i.e. the HIV would've been long past dead).

As for your general question about blood in the mouth, it's that the lining of the mouth is much more durable than we typically think.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Dr.Erik - Pls answer - HIV fear after receiving blow job and rimming and diagnosed with epididymo-orchitis
Contracting HIV from oral sex