How long do I keep testing?

My husband of 33 years recently had an affair. The affair is over and he claims to have used a condom with every contact however he has now tested positive for chlamydia. As of the day he tested positive for chlamydia he tested negative for HIV. I am worried if it is possible for HIV to still be lurking somewhere and not showing up on his test. Is there more extensive testing that he should have? Should he be retested? if so how often and for how long? Should we be using protection if so when will it be safe if he is again monogamous.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Trust, monogamy, etc. can be tricky in relationships. Luckily when it comes to HIV risk, the information is much clearer.

When it comes to HIV, it's important for someone to wait 3 months from the last time they could have been infected (e.g. unprotected sex). During that time, you would take a break from (unprotected) sex to make sure there's no risk to pass HIV (in case it's there).

If you case, your husband would want to make sure he waited a minimum of 3 months since the last time he has sex with someone else to be tested. This would provide an accurate result. For you, protection would definitely be important while all of that is being figured out.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Just on meds and feeling better
Atripla, Trazodone and sleep problems