Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sharp object transmission?
Jun 17, 2013

One of my friends is HIV+. He cut himself on the sharp metal edge of an old desk. Later on ( I am not sure of how much time passed in between) another friend of mine cut himself on the same sharp edge as my friend with HIV. In both cases, both of my friends cut themselves enough to bleed a little. In between these two people getting cut, I covered the sharp edge with cheap dollar store hand sanitizer. Does my friend who got cut with the same sharp edge that cut my HIV+ friend have anything to worry about? Is it possible to be infected this way? This issue is very straining on me b/c I feel that I should have removed the old desk. Please help!! Thanks.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There is no risk from this situation. That's because too much time passed and the edge of the desk was not covered in blood. Also, it sounds like you made some efforts to clean the edge of the desk. The hand sanitizer wouldn't kill the HIV itself but if you wiped the edge any fluid on the metal (it doesn't really sound like there was any from the shallow cuts your friends got), then you wiped away any HIV.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
risk assessment
Next
Occupational Needle Stick

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.