Blood transfer

Good afternoon doctors,

From what I read on the Internet, it appears that the general consensus is that HIV infected blood does not fair well outside the body. With that in mind, I'd like to pose a "what if".

A few days ago I was at my family doctors office getting a checkup for a previous incident. I was asked to remove my underwear and then put it back on. Is it fair to say that if I stepped on a drop blood and put my underwear back on, that the blood could transfer and I could become infected?

I understand this is a lot of "what ifs", but is there any real risk of transmission with his given scenario?

Thank you all.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Even if all your "what ifs" happened, there would be no risk for HIV. This is because of two things: 1) you would've had to come in contact with the blood also immediately after it left someone's body and 2) the blood would've needed a way to get inside of your body.

Neither one of those things happened.

Hope this helps!

Erik

could I have put my friend at risk of getting hiv ?
risk assessment